Sunday, October 22, 2006


A long, long time coming…

I had been thinking about so many things I wanted to talk about on this blog the week before we left for Quito ~ because we knew the blog would happen sometime and that’s the way my brain works.

But it was such a whirlwind once we arrived. We knew where we lived and where the school was, but not much more. How do we get our hands on potable water? Crap – we don’t have hot water – have to get more propane.

Are you telling me I have to teach four different classes? Are you telling me that 2 of these classes have no curriculum? O.K.

So we have been busy and so many things have gotten buried.

The most important things I remember before I left are things that will never leave me.

I remember talking with Sharon and Susan before we left ~ two days before we left.

And I remember how truly blessed we felt.

And I remember talking about the last month before we left.

And what I realized is that if Sharon (my true love) and I, for any reason, were unable to leave for Ecuador – for any reason at all – our lives were already changed forever.

We had recently gone through the absolutely amazing experience of getting married.

And once again everyone we know wormed their way out the woodwork of their so busy lives to stand by our side and put us first.

I bumble through life trying to be good to beetles and moss and everyone we know (our whole world) ~ and once again everyone we know lifts us up and carries us on their shoulders.

Again ~ the people in my life ~ you people ~ my family and my friends ~ you continue to astonish me with your beauty and generosity ~ and you inspire me. Thank you and know that we love you and we do miss you so much.

“…joy and amazement at the beauty and grandeur of this world, of which man can form just a faint notion.” ~ Albert Einstein

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Uncle Chris and Aunt Sharon!!

I definately know how you feel!! I have been so incredibly busy as well and getting used to living somewhere new is totally overwhelming pluss all the work you need to do!! But I'm sure you're probably a little more stressed cause living in a new country is a little different than moving two hours away with the option of going home!!

You guys are really the most amazing people I know and I am proud to be a part of your family!! i mean how many people do yu know who would willingly pick up thier entire lives and move to another country to do what they love!!

I love all of these amazing pictures!! Uncle Chris, you must be having a blast with your camera and all of these amazing things to capture!!

I miss you guys so much!! It will be wierd without you at Thanksgiving!!

Miss ya and love ya!!

Dani

Anonymous said...

Hey you guys- I think about you every day. Thanks for the inspiring pictures and text. You talk about all we did for you before you left and I feel like it was nothing- some how should have done more or at least more of the same way before we even knew you were leaving. So- a lesson learned ...feel it now, say it NOW, do it NOW!!! I love you both! Terri
ps- where is Hello Kitty?